Author Topic: Pro Photo SHow #69 - Mastering the Craft:  (Read 4272 times)

Gavin Seim

• Administrator
    • Gavin Seim
    • View Profile
Pro Photo SHow #69 - Mastering the Craft:
« on: June 05, 2010, 09:28:46 PM »
Discussion welcome. Copyright thoughts (especially if you actually have experience dealing with infringement). Ideas on focus, composition, light or pretty much anything else.

Enjoy... http://www.prophotoshow.net/blog/2010/06/05/pro-photography-podcast-69-mastering-our-craft/
Gavin Seim. Portraitist, Pictorialist. Founder of PPS... http://seimstudios.com
I love talking shop, but expect honesty from me.

Simon Johnson

• View Profile
Re: Pro Photo SHow #69 - Mastering the Craft:
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 10:31:36 AM »
Panasonic's version is the GF1 :)  And their 20mm is f1.7 :wave:

Gavin Seim

• Administrator
    • Gavin Seim
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 12:02:59 PM »
Thx. That's the lens I have (though on the E-PL1). Great piece of glass.

bgregoire

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 12:13:09 PM »
Gavin, I just listened to most of the show, still have a couple minutes left but I wanted to reply to the copyright issue.  I haven't had any of my photos stolen from me before, but I certainly think the loan company is very wrong on this.  I just recently listened to a podcast from http://cameradojo.com/2010/05/18/podcast-82-conversation-with-tad-crawford-legal-issues-for-photographer/ about this issue.  That seems crazy that they think that they can use your photo for free!  Otherwise I thought the episode was good and hope things get resolved for you. 

tsnoland

• Tim Noland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 08:05:46 PM »
I like the podcasts just the way they are. I don't think they need to be broken up. Keep up the good work!

Peace

ohtinsel

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 07:38:54 AM »
Gavin,

If the loan company is local/regional I'd consider going to your chamber of commerce for a little talk about a local business taking advantage of another. You're not just professional you're a business. Also see if your local paper is interesting in using this as an example of the problems of copyright in the Internet age. No doubt the paper has suffered simular problems.

Mike

FullMetalPhotographer

• Have Camera. Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 11:33:49 AM »
I am almost as hardcore as Scott Bourne when it comes to image theft.  >:D The first mistake under valuing your work. You should have billed at least 4 times as much. Even if you are doing a trade for credit deal. You want send an invoice stating the value of the image stating how the image maybe used.

There are a couple of reasons for the invoice and the higher value. In your case they did not give you credit so you now have a worth while value to negotiate with or go to court with. By under valuing your work you now negotiating from a point of weakness. Also The company you are dealing with will pay more attention. To them your image has no value as of now.

In this case I would register the image immediately. Have a Lawyer write up a formal letter on his letterhead demanding the removal of the image, with the invoice and send it to the company in question, the web design company and the IP. If you have the image on Flickr make sure the image is set to all rights reserved not Attribution Creative Commons.

Attribution Creative Commons has to be the dumbest setting for any pro shooter to use. :BangHead:

Depending how deep your pockets and how much time you want to spend is what you need way on this one. Since the image has not been registered you will not find a lawyer to work on contingency. I would send an invoice that is charging them for the usage of the image on a daily basis, back dating since the violation of the agreement.

Gavin, I do think it is a little ironic that you have done a 180 from http://prophotoshow.net/forum/index.php/topic,1544.msg8878.html#msg8878 earlier position.  ;)

A couple of the things, that, I think that is missing from learning from just books and the internet is hands on experience, with working with gear and the experience and techniques of a good instructor. I have said before and I still will say it that classes and workshops is a more efficient way than self taught.

I am self taught in many areas, but I also was lucky to have many great instructors.

I looked at your ad. I liked what I saw. I like the concept. I see two areas that I would change. You tend to shoot for large wall display, which works well with wall prints, but in an ad it does not play as well.

I would say use a photo for the wall portrait in which the group is closer together with cropped tighter together. The big reason is that even with a glossy magazine tiny faces tend to become just dots with reproduction. So the full impact of the image is lost. If you were playing the image full page or double truck then the image you are showing would play better. but in the add it is played small.

The other minor concern is it is a very busy ad. so maybe a tighter crop to show off mantel and/or some creative burning in to direct the viewers eye.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 12:23:30 PM by FullMetalPhotographer »
Ralph Berrett
EMAIL: FullMetalPhotographer@gmail.com

NIKON DSLR Cameras: D3, D2x, D70s
Lenses: NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, TOKINA AT-X 28-70 f/2.8, NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, TOKINA AT-X 300mm f/2.8

Rambazamba

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 04:15:24 PM »
Interesting show!

One question: how was the book calles thet you recommended on "COMPOSITION"?
Thank You
Rambazamba

Gavin Seim

• Administrator
    • Gavin Seim
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 10:32:12 PM »
Glad you found it interesting. You'll find the mentioned books linked in the show notes... http://www.prophotoshow.net/blog/2010/06/05/pro-photography-podcast-69-mastering-our-craft/

anything